It’s a quiet month in the veg patch this month, but if you’re growing a few crops then you should find that with the mild winter you can harvest several things in the next few weeks. It’s also a great time to get your plot sorted for the coming season.
What to Plant
There’s not a huge amount to plant this month, but you can plant up garlic, onion and shallot sets. While you’re waiting for things to warm up for spring, you can chit seed potatoes which will be among the first things to go in the ground as spring approaches.
Meanwhile, here at Rocket Gardens, we’ll be sowing loads of seeds in our polytunnels and getting our spring plug plants on the go.
Jobs for the garden
The key tasks this month are to warm up your beds and get prepared for spring.
- Add well rotted manure or compost to empty beds
- Cover beds with black polythene to warm the soil
- Clear up general garden debris (leaves, weeds, old plants) to keep pests to a minimum
- Keep on top of frosts if you’re growing winter salads
- Clean greenhouse windows and polytunnels
- Clean pots for spring
What to harvest
If you’ve been growing with Rocket Gardens over the winter then you’ll probably have a fair bit to harvest right now:
- Sprouting Broccoli
- The last sprouts and cabbages
- Leeks, celeriac and parsnips
- Winter salad leaves and lettuces
- Spinach and chard
- Golden turnips
- Spring onions