No Dig. Stage 1.

If you’ve read any of my recent posts, you will have seen that I’ve decided to go no-dig in my veg patch. The reasons being that a) it helps to improve the soil and b) it will drastically decrease the number of weeds in the plot. Over Easter, I made a start and have now prepared 4 out of the 7 beds.

Firstly, I carefully dug up the worst of the weeds – the brambles, dock leaves and so on – but left the smaller weeds where they were. Then I lay down a sheet of cardboard. The idea with this is that it helps to block the light from reaching the weeds so that they don’t grow back. I topped the cardboard with a thick layer (maybe 3 inches) of a combination of well rotted manure from a local farmer and well-rotted grass cuttings from the garden. Finally, I topped this with a 2-3 inch layer of fresh compost (bought, not homemade, but I am hopeful that next year I’ll be able to supply my own and thus cut costs).

I have to say that right now they look lovely and I can’t wait to plant. I really hope this method works well – I’ve read many good things about it, and it seems to make a lot of sense.

This weekend, I’m hoping to get the remaining beds prepared, as well as conquering the other jobs on my Easter “to-do” list (let’s just say it rained a lot and roast lamb was far more appealing!)