Getting your soil in tip top condition is probably the best thing you can do for your veg patch. What you’re looking for is a nice, loamy texture that is free from weeds and stones, and that is full of nutrients.
- Prepare your beds early on. We recommend giving empty beds a quick weeding with a handfork before topping them up with a 5cm layer of compost or well rotted manure. Then cover with black polythene or weed membrane to help warm them up before you plant.
- Choose a good quality, organic compost, or make your own. It’ll make all the difference!
- When it comes to planting, pop a small handful of wormcast fertiliser into each hole before planting your seedlings. This will keep them well nourished.
- Add a leaf mould mulch in early summer. This will add nutrients to the soil and also help to retain mositure and suppress weeds.
- Don’t forget to add a liquid feed during the growing season to replenish nutrients and give your plants a boost.