If you fancy a bit of baking this weekend, then these beetroot brownies are a really good, and surprisingly healthy, option. The recipe uses less sugar than most brownie recipes, and it’s dairy-free too.
Ingredients: (Makes approx 16 -20 brownies)
- 4 free range eggs
- 150g chocolate (70% dark)
- 50ml coconut oil
- 250g dark brown sugar
- 150g cocoa
- 125g self raising flour
- 300g cooked beetroot (approx 2-3 large beetroots, boiled until soft)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180c and grease a baking tin (12×8″) with coconut oil
- Blend the cooked beetroot to make a smooth puree
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie. Once melted, add the coconut oil and remove from the heat. Stir to mix.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and salt for 3 to 4 mins until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix
- Add the wet ingredients (the chocolate, beet puree, and the egg mixture) and whisk together
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking tin and cook for 30-40 mins (test with a skewer – it should come out clean/dry when the brownies are done)
- Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tray and slicing into brownies.