Such a great recipe, this is the perfect cake to enjoy on a summers day. It’s also a very useful recipe to have up your sleeve if you have a glut!
- 200g butter (at room temperature)
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 free range eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 courgette, grated
- 2 lemons, unwaxed – zest and juiced
- 175g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180cm, and grease/line a loaf tin
- Put the butter, caster sugar, self raising flour, baking powder, eggs and milk into a mixer and mix well until smooth
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the grated courgette, the lemon zest and stir to mix.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 50-55 mins until golden brown – check by prodding with a skewer and seeing if the skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and pierce all over with the skewer (leaving the cake in the loaf tin!)
- Mix the lemon juice with the granulated sugar, and pour over the cake whilst still warm. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin.