If you’re growing your veg in pots and containers, then have a quick read of these top tips…
- Make sure your pots are well sheltered from the wind. Here in Cornwall, it’s always good to protect them from the prevailing south-westerly winds that common from the Atlantic, for example.
- Lift pots off the ground to help improve drainage. Old pallets work really well for this.
- If you can move pots into a greenhouse, this will help provide a little extra warmth and they will be less likely to experience slug damage (the plants, not the pots!)
- If you can cover plants with fleece, this will really help them to thrive.
- Be careful not to put pots in a frost pocket!
- When the weather starts to turn a bit colder and frosty mornings become more routine, you could top up pots with a fresh layer of compost to keep the roots protected from the cold. It’ll also add a few extra nutrients.
- Remember to water during dry spells and in the greenhouse. It’s easily forgotten!