One thing I have found is that the majority of vegetable cake recipes share a love of cinnamon, which I am very fond of, but I wanted to get a bit more variation in the different cakes. This is what I came up with:
- Lemon Courgette Drizzle Cake – I used Mary Berry’s recipe for lemon drizzle cake and added a large grated courgette to the mixture. I have to say, it tastes pretty good and is nice and moist. Please don’t tell Mary Berry that I deviated from her original recipe!
- Beetroot Brownies – there are hundreds of recipes for chocolate brownies with beetroot, and I think they are all much of a muchness. I actually used Cornish Sea Salt’s recipe for salted brownies, and added in the grated beetroot (I used a very large beetroot that appeared on my Leaf Beet Bulls Blood)
- Rainbow Carrot Cupcakes – I made three different carrot cupcake mixtures, one with purple carrots, one with white/yellow carrots and one with orange carrots. FYI you can’t really tell the difference between the white and orange, but the purple ones are a lot darker so that contrast is nice.
- Parsnip and Maple Syrup Cake – again, I haven’t made this yet, but thought it would be fun to try if I have time. The recipe is from Catherine Berwick
- Apple & Blackberry Crumble Muffins – I love crumble so this is the perfect cake for me, and a good way to use the last of the seasons blackberries. It’s from the Delicious magazine recipe
Hopefully this might be food for thought for any other Rocket Gardeners out there who enjoy a slice of cake (or two!)