With cranberries, ginger, apple cider vinegar and a surprising secret ingredient, this is a the most delicious side dish for Christmas Day. If it’s a little tart (depending on the marmalade you use) add a little extra sugar.
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 medium beetroot, grated
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 tbsp butter
- 75g cranberry sauce
- 75g marmalade
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1″ piece root ginger, grated
- 75g soft brown sugar (you may wish to add a little more depending on sweetness of cranberry sauce/marmalade)
- 75ml apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt & pepper
- On a medium heat, melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan (fairly large)
- Add the onion and cook gently until it starts to turn translucent
- Add the ginger and garlic, and cook for 1 min
- Add the vinegar, cranberry sauce and marmalade, and sugar. Stir well.
- When the mixture starts to simmer, add the cabbage and beetroot, Stir it through and then cover.
- Turn the heat down a bit and leave to cook for 45 mins.
- Season with the salt and pepper. If required, you could add a little more sugar or a splash of balsamic vinegar.
This dish looks really lovely topped with toasted nuts and orange zest – we toasted up some flaked almonds, pumpkin seeds and pine nuts and it worked really well.