If you love cheesy leeks AND cauliflower cheese, then combine the two together in this very yummy recipe. It’s great as part of a Christmas Roast…
- 250g leek, chopped into 3cm rounds
- 1 large cauliflower (weighing approx 1kg)
- 75g butter
- 3 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 75g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 600ml whole milk
- 1-2tsp grainy mustard (optional)
- Sea salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Cut the cauliflower into chunky florets and cook for 4-5 mins in a pan of boiling water. Drain and set aside.
- On a medium heat, warm a little olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the leeks, season with sea salt and gently cook just until the leeks begin to soften. Mix the leeks with the cauliflower.
- Make the cheese sauce:
- On a medium heat, melt the butter in a non-stick pan (you can re-use the leek pan)
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and use a whisk/spatula to mix together to form a roux
- Add the milk a little at a time, continually mixing to keep the mixture smooth and lump-free.
- As the sauce starts to thicken add the grated cheese, keeping a little back to sprinkle over the top, and stir.
- Once the sauce starts to bubble, remove from the heat. Add the mustard and season well with sea salt and pepper.
- Put the cauliflower and leeks into an oven-proof dish, cover with the sauce and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Cook at 200c for 20-25 mins until the topping goes a lovely golden brown!