Add a simple herby dressing to fresh beans and mangetout peas from the garden and enjoy it warm or cold.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side dish)
- 300g beans & peas: (e.g. any combination of french beans, runner beans, mange tout & sugarsnap)
- 1 handful fresh parsley and oregano leaves, finely chopped (you could easily substitute these for other herbs – chervil, coriander or marjoram would work well)
- 1 clove garlic, finely crushed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- half teaspoon caster sugar or honey
- 2-3 spring onions, finely chopped (optional)
- A pinch of sea salt (and chilli flakes if you fancy!)
- Make the herb dressing by putting all the ingredients (apart from the beans & peas!) into a jar, close the lid and shake really well.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the beans and peas. Cook on a high heat for 3-4 minutes until just tender, then drain and run under cold water to stop them from over cooking.
- Let the beans/peas dry in a colander, then mix into a bowl with the dressing. Serve warm or cold.