This is the perfect BBQ side dish…. grilled courgettes with mint, chilli, garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. It’s great with feta, too, and you can easily cook it under the grill in the oven, or fry the courgettes in a frying pan. However you cook it, it is a brilliant summer dish.
Ingredients (serves 4-6 as a side):
- 2 medium courgettes, sliced 0.5cm thick
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small handful mint leaves, freshly picked & chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced into rounds (or a sprinkle of chilli flakes)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 30g feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Brush the courgette slices with olive oil and rub in the crushed garlic
- Get the BBQ going and wait until the embers turn white before grilling the courgette on the BBQ for a couple of minutes each side, until lightly charred on both sides. Alternatively, cook under the grill for 2 mins each side, or fry in a hot pan for 2 mins each side.
- Arrange the cooked courgette on a platter, squeeze over the lemon and drizzle with olive oil
- Season with sea salt, sprinkle on the mint and chilli, and add the crumbled feta if required before serving.