This is a great way to use up an abundance of tomatoes and courgettes if you’re finding yourself a little overrun! It’s a simple recipe, and great with a salad on a sunny evening.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 3-4 medium courgettes, sliced into 0.5cm thick rounds
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
For the sauce:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey/sugar
- handful fresh oregano or marjoram leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt & black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c
- Make the sauce: heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan on a medium heat and fry the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes, the vinegar, sugar and seasoning. Cook on a low heat for 20 mins until the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, brush the courgette slices with olive oil and fry in a non-stick frying pan on a high heat (or grill) for 2 minutes on each side, until they start to colour. (Doing this helps to prevent the bake from becoming watery, but you can skip this step if you’re short on time/energy)
- Add the marjoram to the sauce.
- Season the courgette slices.
- Put a base layer of sauce in a 30cm x 20cm baking dish (approx 5-10cm deep).
- Layer the courgettes and tomatoes over the top, and any remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins
- Meanwhile, mix the breadcrumbs and cheese, season the mixture with salt and pepper (and any died herbs would be nice too)
- Remove the bake from the oven. Remove the foil and sprinkle the breadcrumb mix over the top of the dish. Return to the oven for 20 mins until the breadcrumbs start to turn golden.