Making pesto is a wonderful way to use some of your homegrown herbs and greens – it doesn’t always need to be basil… our recipe throws in some spinach and parsley too (and you could always swap spinach for some kale or chard)
- 2 handful spinach leaves (stalks removed)
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 handful basil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1-2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp mixed chopped nuts
- Pinch sea salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- A good glug of olive oil
- Just whizz it all up in a blender until it reaches a pesto-like consistency
- Check you’re happy with the seasoning and add a pinch more salt if needed
- If you find it is too runny, you can thicken it up with extra parmesan cheese or nuts.
- You can swap around the greens quite easily – more basil and less parsley, for example. It doesn’t really matter as it will all be yummy.
- If it comes up too thick, loosen with a little extra olive oil (but not too much as it can be overpowering), a squeeze more of lemon juice or some water